Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Backseat budgeter

To balance Colorado's budget, I tried to lower taxes and trigger no "constitutional warnings". I began by decreasing general funding for categorical programs by 1.9%  This change resulted in a spending decrease of $2,694,000. This didn't do anything major to the budget. After attempting to decrease the state individual income tax to 3.5% removing about $1,300,000,000 this immediately triggered a constitutional warning. I noticed cutting anything related to education usually didn't work out. Reducing sales tax, however, had no consequences. After that I pretty much couldn't change anything around. Basically, I feel bad for legislators because balancing the budget is pretty tricky, and no matter what you change around someone is going to have something bad to say about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment